These Regional Officers are having Administrative Control over the Deputy Commissioners of Labour, Assistant Commissioner of Labour (Conciliation), Assistant Commissioner of Labour (Enforcement), Assistant Commissioner of Labour (Plantation), Deputy Inspectors of Labour, Assistant Inspectors of Labour working in their regions.
In addition they are assigned the following duties:-
- Conciliation officers under the Industrial Disputes act with State-wide jurisdiction.
- Conciliation officers under the Cine workers and Cinema Theatre workers (Regulation of Employment) Act, 1981 with State-wide jurisdiction.
- Commissioners for Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1923 in their respective jurisdiction.
- Additional registrars under the Trade Union Act, 1926 in their regions.
- Authorities under Section 15 (2) of the Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
- Authorities under Section 41 (2) of the Tamil Nadu Shops and Establishments Act, 1947.
- Appellate authorities under Section (6) of the Equal Remuneration Act, 1976.
- Appellate Authorities to hear appeal against the orders of the Registration / Licensing Officers under the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970.
- Authorities to hear appeal against the orders of the Inspectors of Labour under Rule 32 of the Tamil Nadu Beedi and Cigar Workers (Conditions of employment) Rules, 1968 in respect of disputes relating to issues of Raw Materials by the Employer.
- Authorities to hear appeals under the Tamil Nadu Payment of Subsistence Allowance Act, 1981 against the Orders of the Assistant Commissioner of Labour in the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Labour.
- Authorities to sanction prosecutions under Section 6 of the Tamil Nadu Industrial Establishments (Conferment of permanent status to Workmen) Act, 1981.
- Authorities under Section 20 (I) of the Minimum Wages Act, 1948.
- Inspector under Child Labour (Prohibition & Regulation) Act, 1986.
- Inspectors under the various Labour Enactments except Factories Act 1948.
- The Deputy Commissioner of Labour Madurai and Coimbatore are in addition to the above functions, are members
- Regional Board for Workers Education, Madurai /Coimbatore
- Hospital Advisory Committee at Madurai/Coimbatore.